Monday, February 21, 2005

It Must be Me...

This past motzei Shabbos, I went bowling with my husband. We were by my mom for Shabbos, and took advantage of the night off without paying for a babysitter. The kids were in bed, so we didn't feel that guilty about leaving and going off on our own.


We decided to go to Flatbush for Pizza and found parking not so far not so close. It was freezing, but we walked to J2 on J. We passed PizzaTime and noticed the huge crowd by the counter and no empty seats, so we just continued to walk to J2. What a sight to see. On a motzei Shabbos it was virtually empty! I mean there were few tables with customers, but mostly it was empty. Where was everyone? Where did they go? Come to think of it, when did Pizza Time become so popular? I am so out of the loop of the Brooklyn places! Things are NOT the same as they were when I lived there.


So while we were there and enjoying the quietness, we noticed a group of girls come in. I must be old. The girls were probably in High school. And came out for melaveh malka, with a camera and loud mouths. The way they were dressed, is that really in style? I couldn't help but laugh. I couldn't imagine why they opted to wear those boots...But that is their choice.


After some good pizza we weren't sure what to do. It wasn't so early, but not so late. We decided to go to Maple Lanes and go bowling. Closest place, even though it would be a mad house. I called a friend to join us, but she didn't get back to me...Her husband stepped out and was waiting for him to come home and decide if they wanted to join us. Called a single friend and she said no, but later decided I was just around the corner from her, might as well come and see me.


While we were waiting for our lane, we sat down and watched the other bowlers. They happen to have cosmo or cosmic night, where they turn off the light, have really loud music playing and a red pin that pops up in the middle occasionally and if you get a strike, you get a free game. We saw a group of three girls who were not Jewish, playing and will move to the beaty music. Not a problem. They were laughing and had a good time. The lane next to them was just assigned, so that led to more entertainment for us.


A bunch of Jewish girls show up and start to scream and yak loudly. They enter in their names. Actually they were not names per se but must be how they perceive themselves. I started to read the bowlers and was taken aback by these young Jewish girls. Sexxy, Hotty and some others. I was shocked! What gives?! Why were these girls claiming such names for themselves while they bowled?


Why did these frum girls need this to express themselves, while their neighbors of non-Jewish girls didn't feel that need? Is it me? Am I too old for this and this is the reality that I need to look out when my daughter gets older? Or is there something wrong with the picture? Mind you they also went to the DJ and decided to check out the music and make a scene there. Things did not get better when the next lane was filling up with again frum girls and some boys, but I can't judge, not sure how old they were either. But again, the names were not typical! No real names except for the guys and again the names were not so clean, not something they would use around adults.


Is the generation getting worse? Are the kids degrading? What is going on. Can anyone explain this to me, especially my single friends who read this...And highschool girls. Are guys like this as well, or just girls?
Oh, we had a great time. My friend showed up and we got to talk a little. I won one game, and lost two. We met another couple there who just happen to have stopped by to play the arcade games, so we got to shmooze with them for a little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
Free Web Site Counter
Site Counter