Friday, June 03, 2005

Rant

I went to the infamous tznius shiur this past week. I wanted to go because I knew personally one of the speakers and was curious what she had to say. I didn’t realize until right when I go there that the video presentation was on tznius. Had I knows, I am not so sure I would have gone. Probably to hear the one speaker, but I guess it is a good thing that I went.

I am not going to give over the shiur and the musser we received. But I have a valid complaint. One of the people talking brought up fashion. They referred to the designers as the low life designer in Paris or on Madison Avenue. I have big issues with that. Is it really necessary to put someone else down in order to make ourselves better? Is it really part of our masorah that in order to stress how better and how we should be above everyone else that we need to put them down and mock fun at them and call them names? How hypocritical it is to do such things. We don’t allow our kids to bad mouth other children. We teach them that we should find the good in others, and yet here we are, doing the opposite.

Remember when we want to make a point and to point things out, there are ways to do it and ways not to do it. I don’t care what, there is no valid reason to put others down to make yourself look better. Especially those whom we use! We use those fashion designers to design our clothing. If not their clothing them a knock-off. And please, when was the last time a heimishe person designed clothing or other things we wear. We just do not do that. So why do we have to lower ourselves and to stoop to their level by calling them “low-lifes” and other not so nice words.

Sorry for ranting, but it does bother me. I have some other issues, but just not for now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you're right. No matter who we are, making ourselves feel good by being nasty about others is wrong.

And now I am about to prove that I am different than you, when I have to ask:

What is "tznius"? And a "tznius shiur"? And "heimishe"?

I'm curious!

Sunday, June 05, 2005 8:42:00 AM  
Blogger ifuncused said...

Mary p:
Sorry to my readers, I am not sure who they are or where they come from.
Tznius: is modest. Our way of dressing is called tzniusdik, meaning we dress modesty by covering our elbows and knees and e/t in between.
A tznius shiur is a lecture on how to improve the modesty also refering to the way we talk, and act.
Heimishe: it depends on how it is used. When it is used it is refering to "one of us" (that is how I use it) i.e. "I see a heimishe person, lets go ask a question.." I see a Jew, a fellow jew who is like me, let me go talk to ...
Thanks for reading.
Hope this answered some of the questions.

Monday, June 06, 2005 9:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
Free Web Site Counter
Site Counter