Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Why I Hate Hotmail

Okay, I used to be an AOL nut. I was on-line "24/7". As soon as Shabbos was over, till the wee hours of the morning. I met plenty of people online. I met lots of friends in college and other places as well. Then it slowed down. I got married and moved away. I used AOL to keep up with family and friends. I would sit at the computer and instant message my mom, my friends while living in Rhode Island. It was great. Before I was married, in my hayday, I used to have at least five instant messages opened at once, and on the phone. No one was the wiser. The only person who knew I was "talking" to someone else was the person on the phone as they heard the clicking of the keyboard. But I was able to focus on all my conversations and not mess up. Not anymore. I must be old.
Recently, okay maybe not so recently, I switched from AOL to Hotmail. At work, it is easier to use hotmail for email. Just keep it open and refresh the mail every so often. I would respond, write, keep the mail. I would delete the junk...Etc. Oh, and it is easier for professional reasons to have a hotmail account with your name, than using ifuncused. I set up my hotmail account a little over two years ago, when I started at my current job. I liked it. It was great. I checked hotmail during the day, and AOL at night.
Then I got cable at home. No not the TV cable, though I can probably use it for the TV as well, but there is no TV at home, so it is like the DSL, but no DSL in my area just yet. I no longer use dial up. I changed my AOL account to reflect that. They had a special, switch to bring your own connection, so I did. I rarely check my AOL mail because I never installed AOL on the computer. I used hotmail at home as well. NO more using AOL as my mean of connecting to the world wide web. So why do I pay for AOL? I am paranoid. I love my screen name that I have. I have had it for close to Ten years. DID I JUST SAY THAT?? IFUNCUSED is about TEN years old now! Anyway, so many people have it, (for better and for worse) and I just don't feel like cutting the past away just yet. I like it. I use it sometimes, now more frequently than before, but still less frequently since March.
Just now I was reading my Hotmail. I opened my junkmail folder. Selected all and hit delete. Then it showed me that I still had junk mail, but no mail. I just deleted my entire current mail and NOT the junk mail. I tried to recoup it, but to no avail. It is gone to cyber world. Gone, forever. Just this morning, I took most of my mail from the main mail, and filed it into its folder. But certain things I wanted to keep but didn't have a folder for it just yet...Now I don't need a folder for it...
With AOL this would never happen. I would have the option before signing off to view what I had deleted and undelete it. Here it is impossible. I don't like hotmail anymore. I have a gmail account and wondering if I should move over there...But hotmail did just update their memory, so I do have a lot more memory than I did before.
I guess that is the difference between paying and for free. You get what you pay for!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
Free Web Site Counter
Site Counter