Monday, June 12, 2006

She Did It

My daughter read her 8 books for the BN reading program. I took her last night to get her free book and to pick up another form, so she can start on the next eight. She was excited. I picked up some Junie B Jones books for her (buy 2 get one free) on top of her free book. I just am not so happy with the books. Why am I encouraging my daughter to read books about "heck, shut up, stupid, " Yes I know she will learn those words soon but why now? And why am I the one encouraging her to read them?! I guess next time I will read the books first.

I convinced my daughter that she needs to read longer/chapter books for the next round. I realized that I didn't have her age appropriate books for her to read. Even at the library the books she takes out are not chapter books. I will have to be more careful with her books and help her chose the right age group for herself.

Now I need to figure out which books she read and have her fill out the build-a-bear reading sheet. If she reads three books for them, she gets a book mark. If she reads another three more books she gets a $5 coupon. And I wanted to take the kids there once school was over to build a bear workshop. The one near me in the city is great! So the $5 coupon will help!

I took the older kids to the bank Sunday morning to open a savings account with their money. I gave them each $10 to open it with (they had a little less) In return they got a Valley pen with either a boy or a girl on top of it. They gave the baby who I didn't open an account for a piggy bank, but he wanted a pen like his older siblings, so they gave one to him. I tried to get another piggy bank for the other kid(s) but the one who was working with me on the account, asked someone and she said no. (meanwhile the other person already gave my son a pen and a bank and he didn't even open an account!) On our way out the baby lost the cover to his pen, so I went back to the bank to search for it. The customer service person asked me what was wrong, and then went to get me a new pen without me even asking. When we got home, the baby got out of his carriage and was so excited to see the bottom of his pen there (it was in his carriage). So I went back to the bank 10 minutes later to return the pen. The best part about the bank they match the first deposit up to $10. So my kids now have $20 in their account earning 3.5%. I am happy for them and hope they will save their money. Now I need to start on allowance and have them save some for their deposit and save to buy themselves their own toy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
Free Web Site Counter
Site Counter