Monday, May 29, 2006

Head Checks

I don't understand this.

Can someone please explain to me why on earth every institution I deal with wants head checks...And now, only ONE place that is individually run will NOT accept me for playgroup if I do not supply headchecks. I do NOT do head checks. I do not give out ten checks to any place for x amount of dollars that is post dated for the first of each month. I simply do not do it. I grew up that way. I refuse. I wont budge. I hate the idea. It is illegal. It is wrong. It is stupid.

I will pay the first of the month. I have two previous private individuals who can vouch for me. This time it is a no. She has no idea who I am. I told her I will sign a document stating that I will send my child there. It is a no. Everyone is giving head checks. Everyone. Except...Well there is only one other person as of now...But she will give it to her as soon as she arrives from Israel and opens an account here. HEELLLOOO do you get this?!

I told her head checks are illegal. I cannot write out three thousand dollars plus right now knowing that I do not have that money in my account. You are telling me you don't trust me that you will get the money on time? I am telling you I don't trust you to deposit the check on the first of the month and not earlier. How on earth do you balance a checkbook? Am I the only one who balances a checkbook? Am the only one who finds this practice ludicrous?? I mean who is to say that by me giving you ten checks that it guarantees payment? Does that really mean that I have not given you checks from a closed account? Or that they will not bounce, very high? It will cost you money to deposit a bounced check or a check that is drawn on a closed account. It will not cost me money to give you a check from an account that is closed. I feel so mean that I will pay the $30 to do stop payments on all the checks that she wants JUST to prove my point to her! I am so very mad right now.

This playgroup seemed ideal for me. She seemed so nice. Now I am starting to think too much into it. She will not take me if I do not give her head checks. She is paying the teacher and we are paying the one who is having it in her house. There are others who want to join this group, but I have the last spot, until tomorrow night. I cannot and I refuse to give her ten checks. I simply do not give out head checks. I do.not.do.this.thing. I actually believe it or not, balance my check book. Gasp. Yes. I record every deposit and withdrawal that happens, as they come in! I am on top of things. I just do not believe in giving out ten checks to this person and hope that all will be well. The best part she said when I asked her why she is demanding head checks was "to guarantee that your child comes and if not, I still have your checks." Lady, do you hear yourself?! If I want to pull my child out for what ever reason, I will do so and YOU will not keep my money. If I have to pay $30 a check to stop payment on the ten checks that I gave you...Believe you me that will still be cheaper than the 3grand plus that you have in checks.

So where is the logic in all this? Why are schools asking this of us? (yes, my school lives in the ice age and does not accept credit cards). Why are these places demanding that we screw up our accounting systems at home. Give out checks knowing full well that if cashed now they will bounce very very high. Imagine if I give her checks without signing them, and hope she does not realize that until it is too late.

I am mad. I am looking for another full-time playgroup but not sure if they really do exist here for the same price. I just cannot believe how stubborn people are about certain things...And about things that just simply do not make sense!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Actually, post dated checks are worthless now. Congress passed a law last year that all checks are instantaneous, so the date on the check doesn't mean a thing. Anyone can cash a post dated check on any date.

But even before this they could do this since 1996. It's called Uniform Commercial Code:

Post-dated checks - A bank may charge a customer's account for a check before the date of the check, unless the customer has given the bank clear notice of the postdating in a timely fashion that affords the bank a reasonable opportunity to prevent the check from being processed. If a bank has been so notified and it then charges the check against a customer's account before the check's date, it is liable for damages. (Section 42a-4-401(c))

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:03:00 PM  
Blogger Yedid said...

I think in the institution's mind they are doing you a favor. "You really must pay up front for the whole year, but we'll be nice and let you give post-dated checks".

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 2:15:00 PM  
Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Gosh I hate that I have to do the same this coming year.

Friday, June 09, 2006 8:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
Free Web Site Counter
Site Counter