Sunday, January 25, 2004

Sale
What a day. A metziah. It all started with my brother calling me on Friday on my way home from work, asking if I wanted a Graco doll carriage. You see, the carriage was on sale, and it was real cheap. I told him to take two for that price. Not sure what I would do with two, but thinking my friend might want to ebay it for me.
Well, all doesn't end there. He called me after he got home and told me the store was having a NINETY PERCENT off sale on Sunday. 90% off the entire store. HELLO!! Do you guys know what this means? Just move the decimal over one place to the left, and that if your purchase price. So what do you think I did this lovely Sunday morning. You got it. I went with a friend, and drove out to the city, NYC and went shopping for toys! Such a shame it wasn't clothing or anything else, but toys are good too.
You see this store is not your ordinary toy store closing up shop. This expensive toy store is HISTORY in NYC and Chicago, and in a lot of movies. It is sad to think that this store is no more.
FAO Schwartz. Gone. Closed the doors today for the last time. No more hearing, "It's a small world after all..." when you walk into the store. Or see the HUGE clock in front, or the piano that plays by itself. IT is all gone. Today the store was packed. Jammed pack with people shopping like crazy! And why not? Dolls were selling for a mere $2.50, Activity tables for $8.80, Fifteen dollars for a normally priced $150.00 item. IT was unbelievable. You have had to be there to believe it. I mean the bargains you were getting, the price you were paying, so little and getting soooo much...

What a shopping experience that was. But like I said, it was only toys and kiddie things. There is a limit of how much you can give a child without turning them into to spoiled children and overloading them on toys, dolls and accessories before they demand it from you. So what do you do? You buy all the things because they are so cheap and it you can't just pass it up...but then you need a whole new place just to store all what you have bought. I guess you can say people have gone overboard with the purchases. There is a limit of how many dolls a girl can have, and how many carriages, or accessories she needs for her "baby" or "babies". They make every real baby accessory on a smaller scale for the dolls. It is unbeleivable.

So another piece of history has shut the doors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
Free Web Site Counter
Site Counter