Thursday, September 11, 2003

I started to blog today, and how can I not write about 9-11??

Two years ago on this day, I was sitting at my computer in Providence, Rhode Island (yeah, I lived there for four years, but then again most of you know that already) reading my email, when my brother IM’s me and tells me a plane went into the World Trade Center Building. Whaaaat??? This was something I could NOT understand, what do you mean? What is going on? Then I read the AOL news and was in total shock. What did this mean? Don’t shock me like this, it is not good to give pregnant women such news, and I was due with my son two weeks later. I read the news and quickly got off line to make sure all my NY friends were okay.

Then I remember. My husbands friend worked in the WTC. So I tried calling his wife to see if he was okay. Could not get through. Finally, I went back online (no dsl, still no dsl now) and asked my brother to call the wife and make sure everything is okay. Tehillim was pulled out and said, while my almost two year old ran around. No answer.

I had to go to work shortly after that, so I packed my daughter up and went out to the car, keeping the radio on. I was happy that I was not in NY at this time, though I wished I was able to get a hold of friends who were there. Finally we got through and all was well. BH. He was in the lobby when the plane hit and he just walked right out and left Wall Street area. Was not taking any chances.

Work was somber as the news kept playing on the radio. I ran to the copier place as often as I could, just to see the news on TV. How I wish I had a TV that day. To see what was going on, but the radio news broadcasted the news in detail. A sad day to remember. Offices closed early in Albany due to the tragedy which made my work harder. Finally I went back home and got to talk about it with my husband.

Sometime later, while we were in NY visiting, we made it a point to visit ground zero. My husband signed the sheets that were hanging up as a volunteer from some college out of state handed him a pen to sign. We remember. Tears cascaded down as we walked around ground zero.

And now, it is two years later…and we are still having memorial services for all those that perished. I don’t think we will forget. We will pass on to our children what buildings stood on that property and what had happened on that day. And we will all remember where we were when the plane hit the towers.

(poor Aida, a co-worker, today is her birthday! And she does not want to celebrate it anymore )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
Free Web Site Counter
Site Counter