Monday, January 22, 2007

Potty Training

I am trying hard to get my 2 1/2 year old to outgrow diapers. I am so not used to this. I haven't worked this hard with my other two, but that was because their daycamp actually had a hand in it. But his birthday is right before camp this year, and he needs not to have diapers. I refuse to buy diapers in bulk anymore because I simply do not want leftovers in the house. His playgroup teacher is great and encouraging, but she has 7 others in her group so she cannot always take him when he says so and have nothing happen. I do know she would love to have one less diaper to change as well.

He wants to stay a little boy. He told me so. He told me "me little boy." When I tell him to use the toilet instead of a diaper he says "me don't know how!" I asked him what he wants if he wears underwear. He said a big lion. So I bought him a lion (not a plush one). I showed it to him and told him it is on top of the freezer and said when he doesn't make in diapers, he can have it. He was so mad. I can't blame him. Who really wants to grow up? He is the baby of the family and is enjoying it, though he does think he is like his 5 year old brother or 7 year old sister. He also enjoys his crib. My other son was out of the crib at this age already. He was jumping over the bar so we removed it (rather have him get out than jump out and possibly get hurt. This one, bli ayin hara, hasn't really tried in a really long time. This I am not complaining!

I have a door hanger in the bathroom that is used as a chart. It came with the new potty we got for him. (okay, we got one as a gift when my second child was born, but we already had one at home, so we left at my mom. Now we gave the one we had at home to his playgroup so he can use it there...so we needed a new one at home, so we used the gift that was given to us 5+ years ago.) Inside came a rewards chart with stickers and a chart. I have used it. I then went out and bought a cushy seat for the toilet because *see above comment, he thinks he is older than 2 1/2 and his siblings don't use a potty, they use the toilet! ANYTHING to get him to stop using diapers!! I am in search of Cookie Monster underwear as well. For some reason, he got himself into cookie monster. Picks out all the CM diapers first! I bought a pair, but it turned out that it was only Elmo. He accepted but I want CM for him.

His biggest fans are his siblings. They are a great big help. They encourage him. Cheer him on. But it still doesn't seem to be helping as much as I would like. As soon as he gets home from playgroup, I take off his diaper and put on underwear. He usually has 0-1 accidents. When he wets his underwear, I put on a new pair of pants with nothing underneath. He is very upset and doesn't like it, but it helps. But this is only short term because during the day he is in diapers.

Wish me luck. I hope by his upsherin or sooner (pesach?!) he is DONE for good! I can manage pull-ups at night...

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. said...

i'm toilet training, too, now. good luck to us both! :)

Monday, January 22, 2007 10:41:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. said...

how's it going??

Saturday, February 03, 2007 10:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogroll Me!
Free Web Site Counter
Site Counter